Get educated. Arm yourself with the truth.
If you’ve managed to steer clear of this trend we call vaping thus far, you may not be familiar with what it is, the subculture associated with it or why it’s become popular. Here are a few facts and resources to help you understand why we’re working to arm Johnson County teens and their parents with information about this unsafe and uncool behavior.
What is this vaping business anyway?
Vaping is the act of inhaling and exhaling the vapor produced by an electronic cigarette or vaporizer.
Just when you thought cigarettes were dead …
As the traditional smoking trend continues to decline, vaping came on the scene with a cigarette for the digital age. Electronic cigarettes, commonly referred to as e-cigs, mods, PVs (personal vaporizers) or vape pens, are battery powered and contain solutions (e-liquid) that are heated to release an aerosol (vapor) inhaled by the user. The e-liquid can contain propylene glycol (PG), vegetable glycerin (VG), nicotine, flavorings and other substances.
So what’s stopping some teens?
Turns out, according to youth from throughout the Johnson County area, there are a few common reasons why kids are opting out of this dangerous trend. From peer pressure to parent interaction, it typically begins with a conversation. Below are a few important points to incorporate when reminding your friends, schoolmates and other teens why it’s better to be the G.O.A.T. (Greatest Of All Time) than to be the vape industry’s guinea pig by trying it.
Yeah, we said it’s uncool. So did you.
Young people are starting to pick up on the fact that vaping isn’t all it’s cracked up to be by those glorifying it on the internet and in social media. In fact, according to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), 2016 marked the first decline in teen vaping rates.
We polled local teens and they confirmed our suspicions: the list of reasons to avoid e-cigarettes is long. Here’s why they don’t vape, and you shouldn’t either.
And the number one deterrent is … PARENTS!
Rumor has it that — surprise! — pre-teens and teens actually do give a hoot about what their parents think and say. (Well, maybe not when it comes to fashion or keeping a clean room or, ya know, the usual parent diatribe suspects.) When we polled Johnson County youth, they resoundingly voted their parents as the primary reason for choosing not to vape.
If you’ve been on the fence about having a conversation with your child or your parents, don’t wait … make it happen today and join us in our march to #endthetrend of teen vaping. YOU matter and YOU can make a difference!
Teens can’t buy.
And shouldn’t try.
In Kansas and Missouri, you must be 18 to purchase e-cigarettes.
However, most cities in Johnson and Wyandotte County in Kansas, and Jackson and Clay County in Missouri, have issued ordinances in the past three years that prohibit e-cigarette sales to anyone under 21.
It’s good to know the law. It’s even better to follow it.
- Atomizer – the part of an e-cig that houses the coil and wick that is heated to produce vapor from e-liquid; called “atty” for short
- Blend – the propylene glycol (PG) to vegetable glycerin (VG) ratio in a bottle of e-liquid
- Box Mod – a box-shaped e-cigarette; may or may not have a replaceable battery
- Cartomizer (Carto) – cartridges with atomizers built into them, which can be disposable or refillable
- Cartridge – the disposable part of the electronic cigarette that attaches to the battery and holds the e-liquid
- Clearomizer (Clearo) – clear casings with atomizers built in that utilize a wick to transfer juice to the atomizer
- Cloud Chasing – the act of vapers trying to create the largest possible cloud of vapor, which can be dangerous
- Clouds – exhaled vapor
- Coil – the heating element within the atomizer
- Drip Tip – the mouthpiece of the e-cigarette, which is generally replaceable
- Dripping – the act of manually putting e-liquid onto the wick and heating element
- e-Liquid/Juice – a liquid solution containing a mixture of propylene glycol (PG), vegetable glycerin (VG), flavoring and sometimes nicotine that is heated in the e-cigarette to create vapor
- Flavoring – the largest variable in the e-liquid ingredient base, which can be artificial and/or natural; thousands of flavorings exist, including gummy bear, blueberry, peanut butter, kiwi watermelon and cinnamon roll
- Lithium-Ion Battery – the type of high-density battery used in rechargeable e-cigarettes
- Mechanical Mod (Mech Mod) – modified e-cigarettes that have no regulatory electronic chip or safety features; generally preferred by advanced users to accomplish “cloud chasing”
- Mod – originally used to describe an e-cigarette that has been modified into a unique design; now frequently used to describe mass manufactured box-style e-cigarettes
- Regulated Mod – modified e-cigarettes that still contain a regulating electronic chip and safety features
- Tank – e-liquid reservoir
- Vape – the verb “to vape” means to use e-cigarettes or vaporizers, which produce vapor
- Vaper – an electronic cigarette user
- Vape Pen – a type of personal vaporizer about the size and shape of a fountain pen
- Wick – absorbent material used to draw the e-liquid into the heating element